The Most Anticipated Rematch in UFC® History Goes Down in Anaheim
Jun. 8, 2017
Two of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world collide in the main event of UFC® 214: CORMIER vs JONES 2 when 205-pound kingpin Daniel Cormier attempts to avenge the only loss of his career against his nemesis and arguably the greatest mixed martial artist of all time, Jon Jones. The event takes place Saturday, July 29 at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. live on Pay-Per-View.
In what has become one of the most intense rivalries in sports, Cormier (19-1, fighting out of San Jose, Calif.) hopes to settle the score with Jones (22-1, fighting out of Albuquerque, N.M.) when the two finally meet for the second time. A two-time Olympian, Cormier parlayed his elite-level wrestling into a dominant MMA career, picking apart nearly every opponent he’s faced. The lone exception is Jones, who has yet to lose a championship bout inside the Octagon®, winning 10 consecutive contests with a title on the line. Jones, utilizing his length, athleticism and flashy striking, has long been one of the most feared and imposing competitors in the UFC® and hopes to regain the title he feels is rightfully his.
Two surging light heavyweights will set the stage for the main event when No. 2 Jimi Manuwa (17-2, fighting out of London, England) clashes with No. 4 Volkan Oezdemir (14-1, fighting out of Coconut Creek, Fla.). Expect the two knockout artists to leave it all on the line in Anaheim, knowing that the winner will take a giant leap forward in the title race. Manuwa is riding a two-fight win streak, with both knockout victories garnering Performance of the Night honors. Manuwa has 15 career knockouts and one submission, including 10 first round finishes. Packing an equally powerful punch and an unbeaten Octagon slate, Oezdemir has 10 knockouts and one submission — all in the first round.
The UFC’s return to Southern California will also feature a battle between promising featherweights, No. 3 Ricardo Lamas (17-5, fighting out of Chicago, Ill.) and “The Kid” Jason Knight (20-2, fighting out of D’Iberville, Miss.). Coming off an impressive second-round submission victory over Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Charles Oliveira, Lamas expects that another dominant win will put him in line for a second title shot in the talent-rich 145-pound division. Looking to derail Lamas’ championship aspirations and to create his own, Knight hopes to raise his game to the next level after earning Performance of the Night honors at UFC 211 with an impressive win against veteran Chas Skelly. With 20 professional wins at just 24-years-old, Knight is a rising star in the division and looking to take advantage of every opportunity that comes his way.
• One of the most electrifying young talents in the 135-pound division, No. 8 Aljamain Sterling (13-2, fighting out of Uniondale, N.Y.) welcomes former bantamweight kingpin, No. 15 Renan Barao (35-4, 1 NC, fighting out of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil), back to the division
• Fresh off a Fight of the Year performance, No. 13 Dooho Choi (14-2, fighting out of Busan, South Korea) meets knockout artist Andre Fili (16-4, fighting out of Sacramento, Calif.) in a featherweight duel
• Undefeated No. 9-ranked featherweight Brian Ortega (11-0, 1 NC, fighting out of Los Angeles, Calif.) fights in front of his hometown fans when he clashes with fellow unbeaten up-and-comer No. 11 Renato Moicano (10-0-1, fighting out of Brasilia, Brazil)
• Versatile strawweight Kailin Curran (4-4, fighting out of Ewa Beach, Hawaii) collides with undefeated Alexandra Albu (6-0, fighting out of Moscow, Russia)
• Powerful veteran Joshua Burkman (29-15, 1 NC, fighting out of Draper, Utah) meets Muay Thai specialist Drew Dober (17-8, 1 NC, fighting out of Denver, Colo.) in a 155-pound showdown
• The Ultimate Fighter® alum Eric Shelton (10-3 fighting out of Davenport, Iowa) welcomes undefeated flyweight prospect Jarred Brooks (12-0, fighting out of Detroit, Mich.) to the UFC
• Heavyweight Dmitri Smoliakov (8-2, fighting out of Kaliningrad, Russia), who has finished all of his wins, meets submission ace Adam Wieczorek (8-1, fighting out of Chorzow, Poland)
For the latest information on additional bouts for this event, please visit www.ufc.com. All bouts live and subject to change.
Visit the UFC® Press Portal for information and content to support your UFC coverage.
Tickets for UFC® 214: CORMIER vs JONES 2 go on sale Friday, June 9 at 10 a.m. PT and are priced at $500, $300, $200, $100, $75 and $50 (prices do not include applicable service charges or fees). Tickets are available for purchase online at www.ticketmaster.com, by phone at (800) 745-3000 and will be available at the American Airlines Center box office. Ticket sales are limited to eight (8) per person.
UFC Fight Club® members will have the opportunity to purchase tickets Wednesday, June 7 at 10 a.m. PT via the website www.ufcfightclub.com. A special Internet ticket pre-sale will be available to UFC newsletter subscribers Thursday, June 8 starting at 10 a.m. PT. To access this presale, users must register for the UFC newsletter through UFC.com.
UFC® 214: CORMIER vs JONES 2 will be available live on Pay-Per-View on Saturday, July 29 at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT on UFC.TV, iN DEMAND, DirecTV, DISH Network, Vubiquity, and in Canada on BellTV, Rogers, Shaw Communications, Sasktel, and Canal Indigo for a suggested retail price of $49.99 US/CAN for Standard Definition and $59.99 US/CAN for High-Definition.
UFC® is a premium global sports brand and the largest pay-per-view event provider in the world. Acquired in 2016 by global sports, entertainment and fashion leader, WME | IMG, together with strategic partners Silver Lake Partners and KKR, UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas with a network of employees around the world. UFC produces more than 40 live events annually that consistently sell out some of the most prestigious arenas around the globe, while programming is broadcast in over 152 countries and territories to more than 1.1 billion TV households worldwide in 35 different languages. UFC FIGHT PASS®, a digital subscription service, delivers exclusive live events, thousands of fights on-demand and original content to fans around the world. For more information, visit UFC.com and follow UFC at Facebook.com/UFC, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram: @UFC.